Early pregnancy can bring about feelings of anxiety for most women.
• Well first, you are normal and human… and you are at the start of creating a tiny human.
• Some women may have been trying to start a family or add to a family for a very long time.
• Infertility and previous losses can of course naturally increase anxiety levels.
• Conditions such as endometriosis or Polycystic Ovary Syndrome can interfere with periods and cause irregular cycles which can makes it difficult to judge the age of the pregnancy.
• The lack of control and not being able to tell if something could be wrong.
It is all completely normal! If you are suffering with increased anxiety levels, as with any type of anxiety, there are a number of things you can do to help ease it.
Helping to ease anxiety
• Use relaxation techniques such as mindfulness – combat any negative thoughts or feelings
• Talk to loved ones about how you feel – don’t try and tackle it all on your own
• Keep a diary about how you feel – this will help you understand your anxiety triggers and your pregnancy symptoms
• Release the feel good chemicals but doing some light exercise such as swimming, yoga or walking
• Try pregnancy massage, aromatherapy treatments or reflexology
But most of all….
For the majority of women it is just a desire to know that everything is progressing normally and waiting for the 12 week NHS scan can often prove too much of a wait! Patience is not a pregnancy symptom for most of us!
It is for this reason I have set up my practice offering scans for ladies from as early as 6 weeks. You don’t have to just get on with it and not make a ‘fuss’ because often all that’s required is a measure of reassurance and a listening ear. Most of us just want to check everything is ok with our growing miracles.